Job Opening: General Secretary
Passionate about environmental justice and faith-based social change? Are you a networker committed to inspiring action in your community? Quaker Earthcare Witness is hiring!
We are looking for a new General Secretary (our General Secretary of ten years, Shelley Tanenbaum, is retiring at the end of 2023)
Quaker Earthcare Witness is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, lifting up ecological integrity and environmental justice within the Society of Friends, and collaborating with like-minded groups as a Quaker public voice for Earthcare. Our network of North American Friends has a 2-person staff.
The General Secretary will work 30 hours per week, ideally during traditional working hours and with some flexibility for evenings (depending on time zone) and occasional weekends. Some travel is required.
This is a remote position. Applicants may work from anywhere in the United States.
This job will have a three-month review period.
The annual salary for this position is $55,000 with a $300 monthly stipend for health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 15 paid personal days, and 12 paid holidays. The QEW office is also closed the last week in December (Christmas Eve to New Years Day)
Please apply as soon as possible. Final deadline of July 26th. Position to begin in November.
- Promote the leadings of Friends regarding Earthcare and raise awareness of the work
of QEW among all groups of Friends
- Represent QEW with advocacy and activist partners nationally and internationally
- Oversee financial planning and implementation
- Serve as primary staff liaison with the Steering Committee
- Supervise our Communications and Outreach Coordinator
- Demonstrated effectiveness in public speaking and written communication
- Interest in working with a wide range of partners and volunteers
- Attention to detail and ability to maintain accurate records and files
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Creative and spirit-led
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Commitment to anti-racism, social justice, and Earthcare
- Familiarity with and commitment to Quaker Earthcare Witness’s work and/or similar
ecological or faith-based organizations
- Experience with Quaker process and practice
- Background in public witness and non-profit management
- Technical proficiency with Zoom, Google Suites and constituent record management
databases (CiviCRM or similar)
- Joyful fundraising
- Experience and ability in remote office settings, including video conferencing
And please include your pronouns in your cover letter or resume.
Quaker Earthcare Witness is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes staff and volunteers from diverse backgrounds. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
The General Secretary will take responsibility for these areas:
- Promote the leadings of Friends regarding Earthcare and raise awareness of the work of QEW among all groups of Friends
- Initiate and respond to invitations to visit Yearly Meetings and other gatherings of Friends, either personally or by facilitating the attendance of another QEW Steering Committee Member
- Arrange for participation and/or QEW exhibits at gatherings of Friends, such as Yearly Meetings, Friends Committee on National Legislation, Triennials, and World Gatherings
- Oversee or arrange for oversight of the QEW center at the Friends General Conference Gathering
- Represent QEW with other Quaker organizations
- Represent QEW or facilitate representation by a member of the QEW Steering Committee at other
environmental and inter-faith groups
- Plan and facilitate online events in collaboration with the Communications and Outreach Coordinator (includes monthly presentations and monthly worship-sharing)
- Prepare the annual budget and facilitate reaching our budgeting goals in collaboration with the Finance and Development Committee
- Maintain regular communication with the bookkeeper and treasurer regarding all aspects of theQEW finances
- Manage check deposits from the general mail, including recording donations and sending thank you
- Maintain QEW in good standing with its fiscal responsibilities
- Represent the organization in the necessary legal capacity and sign checks (the Treasurer also can
- Develop the annual appeal and other fund-raising activities with assistance from the Communications and Outreach Coordinator.
- Cultivate donors
- Seek new funding sources and pursue outside grant fundraising opportunities
- Prepare an Annual Report with assistance from the Communications and Outreach Coordinator
Board Relations and Communications
- Make arrangements for the Spring and Fall Steering Committee Meetings
- Set deadlines and distribute advance information and reports from QEW committees and working
groups prior to general meetings
- Organize interim conference call meetings of the Continuing Council Committee (CCC) and the
Steering Committee. To maintain a close relationship and communication with the CCC and the
Steering Committee, serve as an ex-officio member
- Present a report at each CCC and Steering Committee meeting and prepare an annual report on
- Distribute minutes of meetings and other materials electronically to members of the Steering
- Archive the Steering Committee minutes with Swarthmore College Library after approval.
- Manage electronic sign-ons for public statements and policy
Volunteer Support and Collaboration
- Communicate with the clerks of appropriate QEW committees, working groups, and projects to
facilitate their work
- Be the primary support for Committees and Working Groups as needed (excluding the Publications
- Facilitate networking between committees/working groups and with other organizations
- The General Secretary will be responsible for the overall supervision of the Communications and
Outreach Coordinator. Both will often work independently, though there are crucial areas where
collaboration and close connection is required.